EMT 和你想的不一樣:101 件我們該教導新進 EMT 的事
EMT 和你想的不一樣- 江文莒醫師
101件我們該教導新進 EMT 的事
-
You aren’t required to know everything.
你不需知道所有的事
-
You are required to know the foundational knowledge and skills of your job. No excuses.
但從事救護工作所應該具有的知識你應該要了解,這沒有藉口
-
Always be nice. It’s a force multiplier.
永遠對人和善,這會有很大的加分效果
-
There is no greater act of trust than being handed a sick child.
天底下最深的信賴就是家長把她生病的孩子交到你手上
-
Earn that trust.
去贏得信賴
-
Don’t ever lie to your patient. If something is awkward to say, learn to say it without lying.
永遠不要對病患說謊,如果說出來傷感情,想辦法在不說謊的情況下換句話說
-
Read Thom Dick’s, People Care. Then read it again.
讀一遍 Thom Dick 寫的『People Care』,然後再讀一遍
-
You can fake competence with the public, but not with your coworkers.
社會大眾可能不知道你的無能,但你的同事知道
-
Own your mistakes. We all make them, but only the best of us own them.
對你所犯下的錯誤負責,我們都會犯錯,但只有最厲害的人知道自己犯了錯
-
Only when you’ve learned to own your mistakes will you be able to learn from them.
只有當你了解自己犯錯時,你才有機會從中學習
-
Experience is relative.
經驗值是相對的
-
Proper use of a BVM is hard and takes practice.
適當的使用 BVM (袋瓣罩甦醒球) 十分困難,需要練習
-
OPAs and NPAs make using a BVM less hard.
OPA (口咽) 與 NPA (鼻咽) 會使得使用 BVM 輕鬆很多
-
Master the physical assessment. Nobody in the field of medicine should be able to hold a candlestick to your physical assessment skills.
熟練身體理學評估,醫學領域的任何人都不應該能夠比得上你的理學評估技能。
-
Keep your head about you. If you fail at that, you’ll likely fail at everything else.
保持專注,如果你無法做到這件事,那你註定每件事都會失敗
-
There is a huge difference between not knowing and not caring. Care about the things you don’t yet know.
不知道跟不認真是兩回事,你應該認真了解你不知道的事情
-
Train like someone’s life depends on it.
如同病患的命就掌握在你手中地來訓練自己
-
Drive like nobody’s life depends on it.
開車則應避免路人的命就掌握在你手中一樣
-
Pet the dog (even when you’re wearing gloves).
撫摸狗。 (即使你戴著手套。)
-
Have someone to talk to when the world crashes down.
當天塌了下來,記得找人談心
-
Let human tragedy enhance your appreciation for all that you have.
看盡人間悲劇應該會讓你感恩於你擁有的一切
-
Check the oil.
隨時檢查機油
-
Protect your back. It will quite possibly be the sole determining factor in the length of your career.
保護你的背與脊椎,這可能是你救護生涯中最重要的一件事
-
Say please and thank you even when it’s a matter of life or death.
即使遇到生死交關的當下,還是要記得說請跟謝謝
-
Wipe your feet at the door.
進門時記得在腳踏墊上跺一跺
-
When you see someone who is really good at a particular skill say, “Teach me how you do that.
當你遇到救護高手時,記得跟他說:「拜託教我剛剛你是怎麼做的」
-
Nobody can give you your happiness or job satisfaction; it is yours and yours alone, and you have to choose it.
沒有人能夠給你幸福感與工作上的滿足感,只有你自己能給自己
-
We can’t be prepared for everything.
我們無法準備所有的事
-
We can be prepared for almost everything.
但我們準備幾乎所有的事
-
Check out your rig. It’s more meaningful that just confirming that everything is still there.
認真地檢查你的救護車,這比單單用眼神掃過看東西在不在重要多了
-
Tell your patients that it was a pleasure to meet them and an honor to be of service.
告訴你的病患,你希望他們可以很快康復出院
-
Mean it.
你是真心的這樣說
-
Keep a journal.
記得寫日記
-
Make it HIPAA compliant.
但別透漏病患隱私
-
Thank the police officer that hangs out on your scene for no good reason.
感謝莫名出現在救護現場的警察同仁
-
Recognize that he or she probably wasn’t hanging out for no good reason.
不過請記得通常警察同仁不會莫名出現在救護現場
-
Interview for a job at least once every year, even if you don’t want the job.
每年參與一次工作面試,即使你不是真的想換工作
-
Iron your uniform.
把你的制服燙直
-
Maintain the illusion of control. Nobody needs to know that you weren’t prepared for what just happened.
保持你掌握現場的假象。沒有人需要知道你其實對於剛剛發生的一切沒有準備
-
Apologize when you make a mistake. Do it immediately.
當你出錯時要道歉,而且要即時
-
Your patient is not named honey, babe, sweetie, darling, bud, pal, man or hey. Use your patient’s name when speaking to them. Sir and Ma’am are acceptable alternatives.
使用姓名來稱呼你的病患,女士或先生也可以,不要叫他們親愛的、嘿、寶貝、帥哥或正妹。
-
Forgive yourself for your mistakes.
犯錯時,要原諒自己
-
Forgive your coworkers for their quirks.
你的同事閃神時,原諒他們
-
Exercise. Even when it isn’t convenient.
再忙也要天天運動
-
Sometimes it’s OK to eat the junk at the QuickyMart.
有時候吃垃圾食物當正餐是OK的
-
It’s not OK to always eat the junk at the QuickyMart.
但三餐都是垃圾食物很不OK
-
Don’t take anything that a patient says in anger personally.
不要跟正在生氣罵你的病患認真
-
Don’t take anything that a patient says when they are drunk personally.
不要跟正酒醉中罵你的病患認真
-
Don’t ever convince yourself that you can always tell the difference between a fake seizure and a real seizure.
不要以為自己總是可以分辨出真的抽搐跟假的抽搐
-
Think about what you would do if this was your last shift working in EMS. Do that stuff.
永遠把這一趟救護想成這是你人生中最後一趟救護,好好做
-
Carry your weight.
自己搬運自己的器材
-
Carry your patient.
自己搬運自己的病患
-
If firefighters ever do #51 or # 52 for you, say thank you (and mean it).
如果消防人員幫你做 #51 跟 #52 項,記得謝謝他們
-
Being punched, kicked, choked or spit on while on duty is no different than being punched, kicked, choked or spit on while you’re sitting in church or in a restaurant. Insist that law enforcement and your employer follow up with appropriate action.
工作時無論是被打、被踢、被掐脖子、被吐口水,就跟你在路上被打、被踢、被掐脖子、被吐口水一樣,應該採取法律途徑
-
Wave at little kids. Treat them like gold. They will remember you for a long time.
跟小朋友揮揮手、好好對待他們,他們會長久的記得你
-
Hold the radio mike away from your mouth.
無線電不要離嘴邊太近
-
There is never any reason to yell on the radio….ever.
沒有什麼事情需要在無線電上吼
-
When a patient says, “I feel like I’m going to die,” believe them.
當病患說:「我覺得我要死了」,請相信他們
-
Very sick people rarely care which hospital you’re driving toward.
最嚴重的病患很少在乎你要載他們去哪間醫院
-
Very sick people rarely pack a bag before you arrive.
最嚴重的病患往往不會準備好大包小包在門口等你來
-
Sometimes, very sick people pack a bag and demand a specific hospital. Don’t be caught off guard.
但偶而最嚴重的病患會準備好大包小包並指定醫院,不要措手不及。
-
Bring yourself to work. There is something that you were meant to contribute to this profession. You’ll never be able to do that if you behave like a cog.
把你的心帶來工作,這份專業工作需要你的投入
-
Clean the pram.
要清洗擔架
-
Clean your stethoscope.
要清潔你的聽診器
-
Your patient’s are going to lie to you. Assume they are telling you the truth until you have strong evidence of the contrary.
雖然你的病患總是可能說謊,但請先把他們說的當做是真的,直到你有強烈證據證明他們說謊
-
Disregard #65 if it has anything to do with your personal safety. Trust nobody in this regard.
如果跟你的人身安全相關,那麼第 65 條就不適用:請勿相信任何人
-
If it feels like a stupid thing to do, it probably is.
如果感覺起來做這件事很笨,那麼通常就是
-
You are always on camera.
你在任何時候都可能入鏡
-
If you need save-the-baby type “hero moments” to sustain you emotionally as a caregiver you will likely become frustrated and eventually leave.
如果你仰賴『英雄救美』的情境來支撐自己的職業生涯,你會常常受到挫折並終將離開
-
Emergency services was never about you.
緊急救護從來就不會是只仰賴你一人
-
The sooner you figure out #69 and #70, the sooner the rest of us can get on with our jobs.
你越早認清 #69 跟 #70,其他人越早能夠如釋重負地繼續做下去
-
People always remember how you made them feel.
民眾總是記得你讓他們產生的情緒與感受
-
People rarely sue individuals who made them feel safe, well cared for and respected.
民眾很少會吉那些讓他們覺得安全,照顧他們,尊重他們的人
-
You represent our profession and the internet has a long, long memory.
你代表了這個專業,而網路會有很久很久的記憶力
-
Don’t worry too much about whether or not people respect you.
不要太在意民眾是否尊重你
-
Worry about being really good at what you do.
要在意的是自己是否能夠把事情做好
-
When you first meet a patient, come to their level, look them in the eyes and smile. Make it your habit.
當你剛剛接觸到病患時,記得眼神要平視,眼神接觸並保持微笑,請養成這個習慣
-
Never lie about the vital signs. If the patients vital signs change dramatically from the back of the rig to the E.R. bed, you want everyone to believe you.
絕對不要捏造生命徵象或是說謊,這樣病患若真的在送醫途中惡化時,大家才會相信你
-
Calm down. It’s not your emergency.
保持冷靜,這不是你的緊急狀況
-
Stand still. There is an enormous difference between dramatic but senseless action and correct action. Stop, think and then move with a purpose.
站穩!有勇無謀跟正確地行動之間存在著巨大差異。停下來思考,然後有目的地行動。
-
Knowing when to leave a scene is a vital skill that you must constantly hone.
知道何時該離開現場是個需要持續精進的技巧
-
The fastest way to leave a scene should always be in your field of awareness.
要持續了解目前最快離開現場的路線與方法
-
Scene safety is not a five second consideration as you enter the scene. It takes constant vigilance.
現場安全並不是最開始五秒鐘的事,而是需要隨時保持警覺
-
Punitive medicine is never acceptable. Choose the right needle size based on the patients clinical needs.
故意懲罰病患是永遠不可接受的。根據患者的臨床需求選擇合適的針頭尺寸。
-
Know what’s happening in your partner’s life. Ask them about it after you return from your days off.
了解你的同事,銷假上班時記得問問他們最近發生什麼事
-
If your partner has a wife and kids, know their names.
如果你的同事有太太伴侶與子女,記住他們的名字
-
No matter how hard you think you worked for them, your knowledge and skills are not yours. They were gifted to you. The best way to say thank you is to give them away.
無論你如何認真地吸收知識與練習技巧,它們是老師與前輩的贈予而不是你所獨有的,最好的道謝方法就是把它們繼續傳下去。
-
Learn from the bad calls. Then let them go.
從不順的救護中學習,然後就放下他吧!
-
When you’re lifting a patient and they try to reach out and grab something, say, “We’ve got you.”
當你正在抬著病患,而他們很緊張地想抓住東西時,跟他們說:「別緊張,我們有扶住你」
-
Request the right of way.
請求道路通行權
-
Let your days off be your days off. Fight for balance.
放假的時候就該好好休息,生活要取得平衡
-
Have a hobby that has nothing to do with emergency services.
要有緊急醫療之外的休閒嗜好
-
Have a mentor who knows nothing about emergency services.
要有一個對緊急服務一無所知的人生導師
-
Wait until the call is over. Once the patient is safe at the hospital and you’re back on the road, there will be plenty of time to laugh until you can’t breathe.
請忍耐至任務結束,當你的病患安全抵達醫院而且你也返程路上,你有的是時間可以笑到無法呼吸
-
Tell the good stories.
分享有意義的故事
-
You never know when you might be running your last call. Cherish the small things.
你永遠不知道哪一趟會是你最後一次救護,珍惜生活的小事
-
You can never truly know the full extent of your influence.
你永遠不知道你對他人的影響有多麼廣
-
If you’re going to tell your friends and acquaintances what you do for a living, you’ll need to embrace the idea that you’re always on duty.
如果你要告訴朋友你的職業,你必須記得你其實永遠都在值班(意思是要保護病患隱私)
-
Be willing to bend the rules to take good care of people. Don’t be afraid to defend the decisions you make on the patients behalf.
為了病患著想,你會願意對規則保有彈性,不要害怕捍衛你幫患者所做的決定。
-
Service is at the heart of everything we do. The farther away from that concept you drift, the more you are likely to become lost.
服務是我們工作的核心,離這個概念越遠,你就越有可能迷失方向。
-
There is no shame in wanting to make the world a better place.
想要讓這個世界變得更美好並不可恥
